28 Maori Proverbs
- 1. A bird which eats berries can be caught, but not a bird that eats wood.
- 2. A brave man who climbs trees is food for their roots.
- 3. A whale's tooth in a whale's jaw.
- 4. A woman in the house is like a kaka in the forest.
- 5. Ask me what is the greatest thing in the world, I will reply: It is people, it is people, it is people.
- 6. Care for the land, Care for the people, Go forward.
- 7. Desolate darkeness, desolate brightness.
- 8. He who stands up will live, He who sits down will perish.
- 9. In a very old tree, you may be certain that the sapwood is on the outside, while the heartwood is in the middle.
- 10. Join those who can join sections of a canoe.